Saturday, January 17, 2009

Alone in DC.........


Yesterday I drove Jim and Lukas to the airport in San Diego. The conference doesn't start till today, but I thought it would be good for them to arrive early and get oriented with the city. I'm glad they did this. The flights went well, but their connecting flight to DC was a bit late and after collecting their baggage, Jim discovered the car rental desks were closed. Normally in a big city, I would have just used the metro, but Jim is uncomfortable with navigating mass transit and wanted the car. Turns out it was good that he missed the car rental by a few minutes--most bridges are closing down in the next day or two to auto traffic and the only way in is on foot or metro. So Jim and Lukas took a cab to the hotel late last night and today they will discover the excitement of buses and the metro. It is cheap way to travel and definitely fun to just sit back and people watch!
Jim and Lukas are staying at different hotels, but fortunately they are both in Virginia, about 10 miles apart.So the next trek this morning will be to drop Lukas off at his destination for the next 5 days. Jim said they had to take both taxi and metro to get there, as it is too cold to walk! Both Jim and Lukas were shocked at the freezing temps. It was 8 degrees when they arrived last night and the high today is expected to be a warm 23! I think Lukas is appreciating the red thermal underwear that his Grampa Wally loaned him!
I will update more about Lukas's day--he is off to his hotel and then to The University of Maryland for a welcome address, dinner and browsing at the Mall.
Lukas discovered the "Book of Mormon" on his nightstand last night and thought that was interesting. The Bible was in the desk. They are staying at a Marriott by the way.

No comments: